Thursday, August 20, 2009

Keffler's auto waste on the news

DVR'ed the 10PM showing of the news to catch this story. If the station doesn't post the video online I'll see if I can edit it down and post it somewhere.


The city manager said he has checked out the car while his family used the leased car.


It's obscene, and I am pleased the issue is getting traction in the wider community and media. I believe Mr. Morgan has been talking about this issue for a long while and it took the rest of us a while to catch up.

BTW, Mr Keffler and the Council: during this economic hardship you could probably pay someone $24k to drive you around in their own car. Wouldn't be fancy but at least it would employ a Richardson resident.

Heck, it'd probably be cheaper to call him a taxi every time. Current rates appear to be:
$2.25- Initial Meter Drop
$0.20- For each 1/9 mile

Let's run the numbers for the reported 1500 miles/year number the SUV gets driven.

Let's assume 4 rides a day, 250 days/year. That's $2,250. 1500 miles @ $1.8/mile = $2,700 for a total of $4,950. So we would save $19,050 a year if we bought Mr. K four taxi rides a day instead of providing his family an SUV.

Somebody check my math on this stuff; it's late and I was never great at math anyhow.

[Edit: I had some facts wrong. The 1,500 miles number is for the pool car, not the assigned SUV. So my math above is not useful. The breakeven point for taxi v. SUV would be 12,083 miles/year]

No comments: