Richardson Public Library
The RPL has been a lifeline for my family during this economic rough patch.
- DVDs and CDs to rent for entertainment. I haven't been to a multiplex in years.
- books (duh)
- Wifi. IMO the wifi is a tremendous value for taxpayer money. No additional hardware required for users; they bring their own. I wouldn't mind paying for a buildout of that infrastructure. Nothing fancy, just enough bandwidth to check email and do light browsing. The kind of stuff students, job seekers, and the retired might need.
- the new Six Flags-style waiting line seems to be an improvement
- Interested and interesting reference librarians stashed away in the basement. If you haven't been down there take a few minutes to poke around.
- RPL director Steve Benson is kicking butt, in every way I can think of.
- It's time to consider a separate slot on future bond votes just for the RPL; I believe they are doing great work with our collective tax monies.
COR Solid Waste
- Our guys are efficient, quiet, and don't make a mess. Thanks, guys!
- BABIC is Johnny-on-the-spot. An excellent program.
Don Magner @ COR Neighborhood Services
I can't tell if this guy is a robot, never sleeps, or is just exceptionally organized/dedicated. But he and his team win the "getting stuff done" award for 2010. I don't know how he does it, but I am grateful.
Dave Carter @ COR Traffic/Transportation
He handles resident concerns professionally and respectfully in situations that might make lesser men lose their temper. I actually enjoyed watching his presentations at the work meetings; he obviously knows his stuff.
Every RPD patrolman I have talked to this year
...or read about, or heard on the scanner. [No disrespect to female patrol officers; just had no contact with any this year. Same for RFD.]
The street cops are representing us well, making good decisions, doing the best with the resources and directives they have. I won't comment on leadership since I have no direct interaction with them. I keep hearing decent things about Chief Spivey, though, even from grouchier folks than me.
Staff @ COR Utilities office
The folks there are always friendly and helpful. I usually snailmail my bill but when I stop by in person these ladies are great.
So that's my list for 2010.