Tuesday, December 28, 2010

COR Best of... 2010

Just to prove I'm not (only) a grinch, here are some departments/people worthy of recognition in 2010.

Richardson Public Library
The RPL has been a lifeline for my family during this economic rough patch.

  • DVDs and CDs to rent for entertainment. I haven't been to a multiplex in years.
  • books (duh)
  • Wifi. IMO the wifi is a tremendous value for taxpayer money. No additional hardware required for users; they bring their own. I wouldn't mind paying for a buildout of that infrastructure. Nothing fancy, just enough bandwidth to check email and do light browsing. The kind of stuff students, job seekers, and the retired might need.
  • the new Six Flags-style waiting line seems to be an improvement
  • Interested and interesting reference librarians stashed away in the basement. If you haven't been down there take a few minutes to poke around.
  • RPL director Steve Benson is kicking butt, in every way I can think of.
  • It's time to consider a separate slot on future bond votes just for the RPL; I believe they are doing great work with our collective tax monies.

COR Solid Waste

  • Our guys are efficient, quiet, and don't make a mess. Thanks, guys!
  • BABIC is Johnny-on-the-spot. An excellent program.

Don Magner @ COR Neighborhood Services
I can't tell if this guy is a robot, never sleeps, or is just exceptionally organized/dedicated. But he and his team win the "getting stuff done" award for 2010. I don't know how he does it, but I am grateful.

Dave Carter @ COR Traffic/Transportation
He handles resident concerns professionally and respectfully in situations that might make lesser men lose their temper. I actually enjoyed watching his presentations at the work meetings; he obviously knows his stuff.

Every RPD patrolman I have talked to this year
...or read about, or heard on the scanner. [No disrespect to female patrol officers; just had no contact with any this year. Same for RFD.]

The street cops are representing us well, making good decisions, doing the best with the resources and directives they have. I won't comment on leadership since I have no direct interaction with them. I keep hearing decent things about Chief Spivey, though, even from grouchier folks than me.

Staff @ COR Utilities office
The folks there are always friendly and helpful. I usually snailmail my bill but when I stop by in person these ladies are great.


So that's my list for 2010.

2 comments:

dc-tm said...

Very good points and list. Agree with you 100%!

Anonymous said...

We're missing your posts. Hoping you are doing well and will be back posting soon.