Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More handbills: Legacy Custom Painting

Here is Legacy Custom Painting (out of Garland) posting a handbill on my front door. Note that in the screenie you can see the timestamp in the file name.

I called COR at the 972.744.4800 number given as the contact point for solicitor violations in an archived Brief on the COR website. It was answered by the Richardson Police, who directed me to Dulce Luna. Ms. Luna was pleasant and confirmed:
  • We can call her directly at 972.744.4922 to check permit status of solictors
  • The public has no direct (web, print, etc) access to the solicitor database
  • The RPD cruisers do have access to the database through their MDT
And, germane to this particular post, Legacy Custom Painting does not have a solicitor's permit to distribute in Richardson. A trivial deal, you might say. Consider this: if you are hiring someone to do work on your house would you prefer to have someone that understands and follows the relevant residential codes?

I do understand that I may be at risk of obtaining crank status for following up on this stuff. But here is my logic:

  • The COR crime watch officer for our neighborhood has explicitly warned against doing business with people that appear on your doorstep.
  • He has also warned that appearing on the doorstep (or ringing the bell) may be a way to scope out locations for daytime burglary.
  • Highland Terrace has suffered significant daytime burglary activity lately.
  • Getting information on ALL solicitors helps ensure that I do not discriminate against solicitors based on [your pet peeve here].

Yes, I am in search of a No Solicitors sign to post at my front door. At that time I will provide evidence to RPD of all violations. But it's harder than it appears; the statute dictates the sign must be a minimum of 3"x4" and the lettering must be a min of 1" tall. I take a tape measure with me and have not found any signs meeting this criteria yet at walmart, lowes, home depot. I will report when I find one.

No comments: