Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Some thoughts about RPD radio comms

I have some disconnected, general thoughts about RPD radio comms rolling around in my head.

  • Some acronyms you will see here and elsewhere: COR=City of Richardson, RPD=Richardson Police Department. RFD=Richardson Fire Department
  • RPD radio comms are some of the most well-ordered and professional comms I have ever monitored.
  • I am changing my listening habits somewhat, and may start posting mp3 snippets somewhere. Right after this post I'll make a short example of what that might look like.
  • An average day of RPD (most comms) and RFD (dispatch only) consumes results in about 4hrs of active vox-recorded audio in a given 24hr period. I listen to it while commuting or doing housework.
  • During the last week I heard two manhunt ("block off the streets, check anyone that moves") scenarios. This is the kind of thing that's interesting to monitor, and that generally doesn't make it to the blotter.
  • In both the manhunt cases above the RPD wanted K9 support and in both cases K9 was unavailable to them. Odd. I trust that's an anomaly. In one case the dog[s] were in training, and in the other the handler was "unavailable". In the latter case RPD considered borrowing K9 from Garland.

No comments: