Monday, March 7, 2011

Salaam

I thought I had written a comment Friday AM on the anti-Muslim email emailed to DC's blog, but I don't see it there.

The main points that were on my mind:

* I moved to Richardson, in part, because of the rich mix of cultures and the ease with which Richardson seemed to absorb them. The not-always-subtle anti-Islam whispering I've heard in the last year is troubling in the extreme. It is beneath us and it is counterproductive. It's not acceptable.

* I have been warmly received by our Muslim brethren when exploring restaurants and markets. I especially recommend World Food Market, Andre Food, and Sara Bakery. For sit-down eating: Afrah, Tovi (the place next to Asel), Ali Baba. Food is a wonderful starting point to learn about and understand another culture. Hey, ya gotta eat anyway.

* My Muslim neighbors are good neighbors; I would rather have them next door than the author of that email.



* Muslim kids are doing just fine academically and behaviorally in RISD. Kids seem to get along with each other fine. (There are many such instances of kids getting along with people their parents shun, but that's the subject of a different post).

* Should I also be alert for Christian outreach in my neighborhood? Of the doorknocking religionmongers on my doorstep (ignoring my No Solicitors sign), 100% have been Protestant. 0% have been Muslim.

* It is fair to ding Amir's politics if you don't like his approach to the Council (or Twitter :-). It is not fair to ding his faith. Off limits.

My challenge to myself and to the community
If you are already accepting of our Muslim brethren, speak out against prejudice and bigotry when you see it. Continue to embrace people of all faiths. Extremists (of all flavors) can flourish only when the moderate population remains silent.
Special thanks to Mark Steger for speaking out so strongly in his comment.

If you are on the fence, spend some time with Muslim folk, eat some Middle Eastern food, shop at the local markets. Your decision will be made from the basis of experience and not of fear or rumors.

If you are anti-Islam, please consider being more Christlike when expressing your concerns.

5 comments:

dc-tm said...

Every point you made is a good one! I don't know why your comment didn't come through on my blog. That is a mystery. It would have added a fair perspective and it would have been very much welcomed.

frater jason said...

I think I wrote and didn't submit it due to lack of time to edit. (I usually have to leave for work about the time I would have read your blog). I don't think I submitted something that got dropped or anything like that.

Thanks for your kind words. I value your contribution to the citywide conversation.

Anonymous said...

You miss the entire point: the goals of Islam and Christianity are completely different. Scholars on both side will tell you so. What most Islamic scholars won't tell you is their goal to co-op American society with Islam using our own laws. Sure call me a 'consipiracist", but talk to residents of several Michigan towns who now hear the Muslim call to prayer 5 times broadcast from their mosque. Could this one day be Richardson?

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know how much I appreciate the original post. It's so nice when reason prevails. As far as hearing the call to prayer from a mosque, or several mosques, in Richardson goes, I say bring it on. I think it's great when people of any faith gather to pray and I think I'd enjoy hearing the call to prayer from a mosque (which I don't happen to attend) just as much as I enjoy hearing church bells ring from the spire of any Christian church which I may not happen to attend. I love the diversity in our city and, if anything, wish there was more of it. When all is said and done, you just can't turn back the clock and I've only met one person who wishes they lived in Mayberry, where all the people are undereducated, women know that their place is in the home, and there isn't a person of color to be found anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Ain't it interesting that the link to the email provided in the original post no longer works? Wonder why that would be? "The moving finger writes, and having writ, moves on..." or, in this case, censors himself once an outcry for reason and justice is heard. I'm all in favor of people having different opinions, what bothers me is when people can't be civil. What a sad state of affairs in our fair city.