Tuesday, December 22, 2009

COR Radio system needs work?

DMN reports COR may have to update the radio system soon. I can confirm from scanner audio that dispatchers and patrol officers are struggling with dropouts and static issues. The audio of the system is also quite low, but that's probably not a directly related matter.

Makes me wonder what the options are in the$8-10mil range. Currently COR is running an analog EDACS trunked system in the rebanded 800mHz range.

Couldn't go fully APCO25 (digital, for our purposes) for that amount of $$$ I wouldn't think, if Plano is getting 30mil quotes for their (admittedly larger) system. And not in a year and a half timeframe.

Maybe some kind of federal grant money for (wink) interoperability purposes to build a digital infrastructure + a bridge to the existing analog radios, then replace the radios as more $$$ comes along? Maybe move PD/FD to digital first? Or maybe just buy some some new EDACS gear to replace the dying stuff? That might buy us a few more years before going APCO but the numbers above seem high for a scotch tape kind of deal.

Hmmm, maybe it involves running more towers in problem areas? I bet that would be get us in the right money ballpark.

Dunno. Hopefully someone who knows how this stuff works can chime in. I'm just guessing. I suspect the commentary in local scanning groups will be informative and someone will set me straight.

Thanks to Nathan for bringing this to my attention.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richardson's radio system is run by their IT department. Quite a few of them are ham radio guys. If you're a ham, sometimes you can catch them on the RWK repeater after hours. I've met a couple of them, seriously sharp tech guys. Seemed like straight shooters too. You might try asking them about their plans, they'll probably tell you exactly what they're looking at.

frater jason said...

Thanks, I should have guessed that ham and radio shop guys would overlap.

After reading more info elsewhere it looks like this was discussed in either the work session or council session; I'll go back and listen to the audio before I run my mouth again. :-)

Anonymous said...

Funny that the 'Telecom Corridor' city has issues like this. Or disturbing.

frater jason said...

Ok, I'm embarrassed to say that pretty much all the questions I was spitballing appear to have been covered in the council meeting.

If you don't want to wade through the video, the basics start on page 27 of this document:
http://www.cor.net/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=11470

Looks like COR thinks they can go digital for that 8-10mil number. Maybe so. That's more likely than getting it done in the specified timeframe.

In the meantime I expect they'll petition FCC for a power adjustment on the xmitters in order to increase coverage in problem areas.

Nitpick: I would point out that trunking channels are not the same thing as "repeaters".