Thursday, June 9, 2011

RISD: first things first

My role as a substitute teacher allowed me to see a good deal of the
district. I subbed in every high school, every junior high, the
alternative school (CMLC) and some elementary schools.

I had days with delightful kids and days when kids were taken away by
the police. Classrooms where I would want my own kid to be and
classrooms where I would never, ever consider placing my kid.

I had small, easily-managed groups and class sizes that were out of
control. Hint: when the teacher's note says "there are not enough
desks for the students so some sit at my desk or on the floor" it is
safe to say that class is too big. I had a 9th grade social studies
assignment at Berkner where there the largest class was 42 and the
smallest class was well into the thirties (38? 36? don't remember). It
is common to have more students than textbooks.

I spent time in schools that were nurturing and healthy (North JH, for
example) and schools that felt like a street fight or rioting minimum
security prison (Forest Meadow). How /do/ 7th graders get tattoos, anyhow?

I believe RISD is still a very good school district and is facing some
real challenges. I'll address this in a weekend post.

My next post will be about school might be different now compared to
when I (and maybe you) went to school.

posted by offline email

No comments: