Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Grid emergency = rolling blackouts

Power went out this A.M. Called Oncor: recording said Tx grid is in trouble, and they are having rolling 15-minute blackouts to limit damage. Actually lasted about 9mins at my location.


Note: It's showing up in Oncor's tweets now:

billcarleton Bill Carleton
@oncor why no advanced notice that you will be rotating grid outages?
28 minutes ago
in reply to @billcarleton ↑

@oncor
Oncor
@billcarleton Sorry for your inconvenience. We found out <1 hour ago from ERCOT, who operates the state's electrical grid. Please be safe.


{Edited to add: just put the Oncor outage number 1-888-313-4747 in my cellphone yesterday. Guess that paid off.}

{Another edit: another round from 7:47a - 8:03a. If this is going to go on all day i'll leave my PCs off and just use this laptop.}

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny that there is no mention on ONCOR's site (that I saw anyway). I got hit with mine about 10 mins ago, but am still tethering from my cell.

It's cycled to North Fort Worth now.

Thanks for confirming.

Unknown said...

That JUST happened to us in Addison, TX. I didn't have the number, had to use 411.

Unknown said...

oh and PS: You would think they would have let 911 centers know in advance. When I called (we didn't know how long it had been out, I just woke up and it was off) they had NO clue, just said it was out all over town.

Roberta Clark said...

Ours (South Plano) hit at 5:45 a.m and lasted about 12 minutes. It would have been nice to know they were doing it. When you've had ice on power lines, the first thing you think about isn't

Channel 5 doesn't even know it.

Unknown said...

15 minutes? GP&L just had me down for 36 minutes.

I have visions of "engineers" running around trying to figure out how to turn it on while circus clown music plays in the background.

Anonymous said...

Up here in Collin county (Frisco), I haven't endured a blackout yet, but then again i live within a mile of Centennial Medical Center (hospital) and I am willing to wager that my power comes from the same substation as the hospital (which probably wouldn't have it's power turned off).