Monday, September 6, 2010

No more apartments at Brick Row

Word is that the developers (Winston Cap?) are going to ask COR to let them skew the existing 300 condos / 500 "luxury apartments" agreement toward more apartments units at a lower price point.

DART Rail + cheap apartments = bad news. Listen to a scanner and see how often RPD is dispatched to the rail station. There is already graffiti on the upper deck, and broken glass panels. DART PD is MIA. Maybe the new radio tower will encourage them to show up in Richardson from time to time?

Anecdotal, but interesting: my last two experiences on that DART rail platform have been unpleasant. This Tuesday I rode the DART down to the VA hospital for a dr's appointment. While I was buying a ticket at the Spring Valley station ticket kiosk I was approached ("Hey, dawg...") with an offer to participate in an activity specifically prohibited on the ticket. I will note that getting approached with a "Hey, dawg" when you have your wallet in your hand bumps up the threat level from yellow to orange pretty fast. My right hand settled down to the Spyderco Endura clipped to my pocket.

The time before that I called 911 when it appeared my wife and I were in physical danger. Yay, DART.

Got a little sidetracked there. What was I saying? Oh yeah, NO to more apartments in Brick Row.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brick Row is just off Spring Valley, yes?

Is there ANY part of Spring Valley that the City of Richardson cares about? I mean, now that Blue Cross is up near the Eisemann Center, Spring Valley is just a through street for Garland to get to Central Expwy.

And a developer who promised great things to get initial approval, yet now is approaching the Zoning Board to change the owner-occupied Condos to apartments? Does that surprise?

Sheesh.

roo_ster said...

Get yourself a CHL and a real CCW. Yea, knives are nice, but I like something closer to 20th century technology than stone-age technology.

frater jason said...

I have a CHL and carry anytime I am not going onto prohibited areas. I was going onto federal property (as described in the post) and therefore was not carrying.

William J. 'Bill' McCalpin said...

The City Council voted this evening 6-0 (Solomon was out sick) to deny the developer's request - and the vote wasn't even that close, if you know what I mean.

Each of the Council members expressed doubts ranging from "this isn't what we and the neighborhood and the 7 townhouse residents already there agreed to" to "you [the developer] are being dishonest" (a slight paraphrase but listen to the video!).

In any case, it was obvious that while the Council was somewhat sympathetic with the financial situation that the investors find themselves in (the condo market stinks), moving forward with the request to convert condos to apartments was a non-starter...

Bill

frater jason said...

I am also sympathetic to the developer's financial situation, but that is the nature of capitalism. Take the risk, reap any profits. Take losses as they come.

I am pleased that we don't appear to have a bailout scenario with Brick Row where the developer offloads downside risk on the city (ie, taxpaying residents). I was a little concerned that BR was going to be considered a "too big to fail" project at the city level.